Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Heads up in the Portland area...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Heads up in the Portland area...

    I would pounce on this if I was in the area.....as usual not affiliated....yadda, yadda....


    Vintage Altec Lansing Monitors

    looks like he will be adding some refurb'd 4311's in the future by looking in the back ground.....



    -chris

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Heads up in the Portland area...

    Chris, i don't think his info is accurate. Unless the internals have all been swapped out at some point, those should have all alnico motors on board. The E series woofer and 902 HF driver shouldn't have appeared until the very end of the 70's or 1980. The 9849A had become the 9849-8A/9849-8D by then. These cabinets clearly have 9849A tags on them which indicate early to mid 1970's production to me.

    I have nearly new(as in very limited hours of use since new) 9849-8D's perched atop my model 17's, they are indeed a "special" speaker. My 17's have some issues and need proper re-re-building and re-charging at GPA this fall once the pennies are saved. While the 17's currently can do outstanding midrange at lower levels with the new style GPA cones in them, they were not properly installed, nor were the motors re-charged. The 9849's 806 style driver on that bent horn just blows away the 604's HF..................... and we all know that should not be the case. The LF is also quite impressive, while you certainly cannot expect 604 type extension, that 414 woofer does an admirable job of embarrassing these "professionally" rebuilt 604's in their current state. I certainly hope the tables turn after the 604's get a correct re-build at GPA.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Heads up in the Portland area...

    I have one of these. A pristine 9849-8B.
    It has the 414-8E woofer and a 902-? HF driver. I believe the D model was furniture finished.
    I am in Portland.
    Looks to me like the one repaired woofer has the wrong surround.....it looks to be a roll which means the cone was changed.
    Mine has a 32343 crossover. But might be identical to the ones in the ad, just a diff label! altec was good at that.
    I might call the guy......
    I paid $200 for my single, and I'm sure it has never been messed with.
    Also, I have a pair of pristine 414-8c woofs on the shelf.
    Ron

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Heads up in the Portland area...

    I believe the D model was furniture finished.
    Oiled oak in fact.

    The 32343 is an interesting crossover with the additional RLC to shape the response of the HF. These are very impressive smaller Altecs, particularly with them positioned such that the woofers are very close to the ceiling. The HF response absolutely defies the common reputation of both the bent horn and the 806 type driver.

    forums
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Heads up in the Portland area...

    These are still for sale, I guess I'll go have a look see on Sat. I need to keep up with analog addict!
    I'll take my trusty screw driver and check out the components. These things come apart in less than 5 minutes.
    I'm curious if these crossovers are the same as the 32343.

    Ron

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Heads up in the Portland area...

    Hey ron,

    I was directing these to you. I thought you were in the NW area and thought you had some like these and thought you might check them out....


    -chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.